AADD is looking for respectful and caring people to engage, protect, and teach adults with developmental disabilities. If you are service-oriented (Scouts, AmeriCorps, Military, etc.), creative (can think outside of the box – what else can you do with a deck of cards other than poker?), a self-starter and have a good sense of humor (Q. What did the ocean say to the sailboat? A. Nothing, it just waved.), then you belong with AADD!
AADD is a non-profit organization in the field of serving adults with developmental disabilities. We are seeking experienced Direct Support Specialists to join our growing team, who would be responsible for teaching skills that help people increase independence in the community. This person will be a positive role model, provide outreach, planning, facilitate effective communication, access applicable tools, and support individuals in accessing services (may also involve group activities).
Job Requirements :
- Bachelor’s degree* (prefer degree in Human Services area).
- 5 years’ experience serving individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Previous Mandt or other non-violent crisis intervention experience is preferred.
- Flexible availability.
- Chauffeur’s license and proof of insurance.
* Degree requirement may be waived for persons with exceptional abilities and/or experience in lieu of five years progressively responsible related experience, dependent upon the discretion of the Executive Director of the Association on Aging with Developmental Disabilities.
Must have the ability to:
- Support individuals in developing communication and social skills while addressing challenging behaviors.
- Demonstrate good judgment, discretion and confidentiality.
- Work independently, take initiative, and self-manage.
- Facilitate a team atmosphere utilizing a person-centered philosophy.
- Communicate effectively in both written and verbal forms.
- Apply conflict resolution skills with others involved in the individual’s life.
- Communicate with coworkers and individuals to create your schedule.
- Complete and submit required documentation in a timely manner.
- Develop, coordinate and implement goals as outlined in the ISP.
- Attend and participate in training in-services.
- Obtain and maintain knowledge and certifications in the areas of safety procedures and general health care to include but not limited to: CPR, First Aid, Universal Precautions, Mandt Training.
- Obtain and maintain a valid Chauffeur’s License.
- Assist individuals to identify and achieve their goals through advocacy, support and teaching.
- Develop positive relationships with individuals.
- Provide people with a variety of experiences to help them enhance and generalize their knowledge and skills.
- Assist individuals with making informed decisions.
Job Type: Part-time and/or Full-time
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Salary: $13.23 /hour